(meteorobs) Lyrids whited out

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Mon Apr 21 21:46:00 EDT 2008

Last week, I wrote of some of the geographical advantages of observing from a far-northern outpost. Let me speak now of the disadvantages.

It is snowing. It has been snowing since Friday. It may still be snowing next Friday.

Actually, current forecast is for clearing (and -19 Celsius) on Wednesday, when the dark-sky window is about three hours. Not sure if it'll be worth chasing Lyrids 48 hours after the peak (especially on _these_ roads); the window is supposedly April 16-25 and I've never had much luck with this shower even on peak night. But I'm chomping at the bit to see even a handful of meteors; it's been a long time since the Quadrantids!

Bruce
*****