(meteorobs) Live in Istanbul, need some viewing tips for Perseid Meteor Shower

Jan Verfl verfl.meteors at seznam.cz
Fri Aug 8 10:48:52 EDT 2008

Hi

and congratulations to the great decision to watch meteors:) Nevertheless,
it will not be easy to manage it in a 15+ milion city!

The light pollution in Istanbul is immense and this situation does not get
much better until several dozens of kilometers from the city, I am afraid.
On the other hand, if you are willing to travel a little, you may get
dark-sky conditions that we in central Europe can only dream of!

If you are willing to travel a little for the osbervation, visit
http://www.lightpollution.it/worldatlas/pages/fig1.htm, download some hi-res
maps a look for blue/gray/black areas - they are actually not far from
Istanbul. On the other hand you will notice, that the whole city is "red"
that means, very light polluted. Possibly the shortest path to some at least
moderate sky seems to be somwhere in the direction of the Sabiha Gocken
airport.  In any occasion, find yourself a nice, preferrably elevated
(hill), place where there is as few direct light as possible and enjoy!

Good luck,
Jan