(meteorobs) Fireball report from Edmonton

bmccurdy at telusplanet.net bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Sun Aug 10 16:25:50 EDT 2008

   Further to my report of Friday evening, I got confirmation from one of our
local RASC members, Roy Ramdeen, who was out at Beaver Hills Dark Sky Preserve
at the time:

***
"We saw the same as Kevin out at Blackfoot. Trent Bjorndahl, Andrew Soon, and
my self. Spectacular color only caught the last second of it, because we were
facing south. From our location we though it hit north. Andrew was totally
filled with excitement and was going to make a fireball report.

"At the time Andrew estimated it to be about -8. We were getting a lot of
flashes; most of these were due to bright sheet lightning off the tip of a
small weather cell just southwest of Camrose. This was the brightest fireball
for me to date; the deep blue is what caught my eye, along with holy #&%@, in
the direction of a fairly relaxed Andrew. He was willing to chase after it."
***

   Given that BHDSP is some 50 km east of where my son observed the fireball in
west central Edmonton, clearly it wasn't particularly near at hand.

   Another one of our members (and MeteorObs list member), Alister Ling, has an
automated video system which monitors for fireballs. He has undertaken to
review the tape from Friday night for evidence of this event.

   Normally I would expect to get a few reports here at the Observatory from
the public at large about a sight like this, especially one that occurred at 11
p.m., but with it being a weekend the switchboard at the science centre is
unmanned and only those who know what buttons to press can get past the stock
greeting message. But it wouldn't surprise me if I get a couple of calls
tomorrow afternoon.

   Thanks to KCStarguy for your interest in this event and for prompting me to
follow-up to the list.

   Bruce
   *****