(meteorobs) Perseid weather on Vancouver Island

Pat Branch pat_branch at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 10:26:15 EDT 2008

I have seen and heard a huge fireball so I know it is not
impossible. The meteor was reported by the paper to probably be a
house sized meteor that bounced off the atmosphere. I know people
are going to tell me that you cannot hear something over 200,000
feet up, but there were 5 of us that saw and heard the same thing.

It was 4am and it was absolute daylight for 10-15 secs. Almost too
bright to look at. It sounded to me like a meteor should - a low
rumbling or burning sound like a cartoon or sci fi movie would show.
But in reality it was probably more like a low series of shock waves
like a rocket launch rumbles from far away. The sound started about
1/2 way thru the visible part of the show and continued for a number
of seconds after the meteor faded. Yes, I know the altitude divided
by the speed of sound should say that the sound should not happen
until way after the meteor has left, but this is a 1st hand account -
 not a friend of a friend.
Pat