(meteorobs) Kappa Cygnid velocity question

meteoreye at comcast.net meteoreye at comcast.net
Mon Aug 11 18:07:52 EDT 2008

A KCG originating near the radiant would be very slow and very short, since it is hitting you nearly head on. Meteors are faster the further away from the radiant they are, as well as having longer paths.

In general, if you extend the length of the meteor backwards by it's length, it still must fall within the small radiant diameter; although data suggests the KCG radiant is larger that most considering the torturous route such a meteoroid must take to get here.

Wayne

From: Thomas Ashcraft <ashcraft at heliotown.com>