(meteorobs) Perseids - VLF radio attempt- preliminary report

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Tue Aug 12 14:06:15 EDT 2008

Preliminary Report

August 12, 2008
Observing period  :  2:30 am MDT to 5:18 am MDT ( 0830 UT-1118 UT)
.
I visually observed the Perseid meteor shower and listened for any
possible meteors using a McGreevy WR-3E handheld receiver.  I listened
acutely using headphones and also audio recorded the radio output into a
Sony minidisc recorder with periodic WWV time stamps on second stereo
audio channel.  Visual sky conditions very good and clear for half the
viewing sky and clear above my head. No Moon.  ELF/VLF reception was
generally excellent. There was some light wind that made rustling and
obscured my headphone listening conditions at times.
.
There were many visual Perseids and also many non-Perseid meteors but I
did not see any fireballs brighter than -3 in magnitude which was
surprising as my observing period was near the predicted peak time of
the Perseid shower.
.
There were normal VLF/ELF background sferics and also some distant
visual/audible lightning on my northern horizon. During this session I
did not hear any distinct radio sound that was synchronous with any
observed meteor. The general sferic background was a constant crackling
which may have masked any subtle meteor reception, if indeed there was
any sort of sound.
.
I was hoping for a larger magnitude Perseid fireball but did not witness
any during this session. My thinking was and still is that it might be
possible that a brighter magnitude fireball may make some sort of
discernable VLF radio signature.  But, no luck this particular night.
.

Thomas Ashcraft
35.50 North Lat  105.89 West Long
Near Eldorado, New Mexico