(meteorobs) First Impression from the NJAA

meteoreye at comcast.net meteoreye at comcast.net
Tue Aug 12 16:30:42 EDT 2008

Observed for 4.95 hours from midnight to 5 AM here in NJ.
I've transcribed the tape, but much data crunching remains, I haven't even calculated LM's yet.
The first hour was badly affected by moonlight and some clouds, other than that, not too bad.

174 total meteors (35.2/Hr)
139 Perseids (28.1/Hr)
27 SPO (5.5/Hr)
7 SDA (1.4/Hr)

High Perseids rates (>35/Hr) were from 0507-0601 UT peaking around 0545 UT.
Long low period with rates < 25/Hr 0635-0732 UT nadiring ~ 0700
High rates >35/Hr 0748-0826 UT, peaking ~ 0815 UT.

Perseids were on the dim side until ~ 0609, then brightness increased.

Last 3 hours had a -8 with 16 second wavy train, a -6 terminal burst on a -3 meteor, and 19 other 0 mag or brighter.

Probably my best Perseid peak ever since the weather has usually been awful over the last decade.

Manageable amount of company at the NJAA. VERY DEWY, since we had a brief downpour about 2 hours before observations started.

Highest full hour Perseid count was 42, best 1/2 hour 26 (52/H) , best 15  minutes 16 (64/H) , best 5 minutes 9 (108/H), best 3 minutes 7 (140/H)

More later; I won't get to finish data crunching today since clear skies are possible tonight, which would make 6 observation nights in a row, and I am running on fumes at the moment.

Squishy bed is calling....

Later folks,
Wayne