(meteorobs) Post-peak Perseids - Coweta, OK 12/13AUG2008

Bill Godley wwgj180 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 12:37:54 EDT 2008

Finally the sky cleared here in Oklahoma.  The forecast fog did not materialize and I was able to observe from 6:40 UT to 09:10 UT.  The bright moon (at my back) was a factor for the first 90 minutes or so, after which the sky darkened about as much as it can here at my location in the summer (about 5.2).

I saw 35 to 40 Perseids along with maybe a half dozen sporadics.  No KCGs though I tried to keep my eye on them.

Many Perseids were bright and they did seem "clumpy" as others have noted.

I am going to try to get another hour or so in after moonset and before morning twilight tomorrow morning.

Good luck to anyone trying to catch post-peak Perseids the next few nights.

Bill,
Coweta