(meteorobs) Perseids from Kansas

kcstarguy at aol.com kcstarguy at aol.com
Wed Aug 13 13:54:08 EDT 2008

morning 8/12 /2008 clouded out  in Kansas City
but saw morning 8/11/2008

Date: 8/11/2008

Location. Louisburg, KC (Powell Observatory grounds south of Kansas City)

Time: 1:35- 3:15 am Central

sky conditions: to 5 mag clear

observation: alone

5- Sporadic

3- Perseid

1- Kappa Cygnids

The color rundown of 12 that I am posting

3- yellow

9- white

Mags ranged from -3 to 4

Mag : 0 (2  ; +1 (0) ; +2 (6) ;+3 (1) ;  +4 (3)_

Comments:

I was very disappointed at not seeing more meteors tonight during the
time I went out. This is the first year I can remember having good
enough skies to see +4 magnitude meteors that out numbered the brighter
ones during a night. I live for the brighter ones and was disappointed
from my vantage point. The best meteor tonight was a Kappa Cygnid
yellow 0 magnitude that just literally "rolled along in the sky" for
over 2 seconds (no tail just a start like object). Interesting but not
spectacular. It did have a short lived trail (train). Two Perseids had
0.5 second trains.

Definitely a "clumping effect" with pauses in activity

8/11-12 /2008 clouded out

Dr. Eric Flescher (kcstarguy at aol.com), Olathe, KS:? Lat 38.834, Lon -94.778: Nature's Greatest Spectacle- 2008 & 2009 Total Eclipse- Winco Eclipse Tours, Inc.:www.eclipsetrips.com: Comet Observers Award Coordinator- Astronomical? League / Astronomical Society of Kansas, KC, MO-Louisburg,KS: http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/comet/comet.htm:? Comet Observers Blog: http://cometobservers.blogspot.com/:Subscribe to Comet Observers newsletter (send your email to):CometObserversAwardAL-subscribe at yahoogroups.com :? Eclipse sightings > http://eclipse-sightings.blogspot.com/: E.O.A.S. (Earth, Oceans, Atmosphere and Space) Blog -<http://eoas-dreric1kansas.blogspot.com/>:sign up for free monthly astronomical newsletter (send message to:
blacksuneclipse-subscribe at egroups.com: Blog <http://blacksuneclipse.blogspot.com/> : Eric's Blacksun Eclipse website : http://members.aol.com/kcstarguy/blacksun/eclipse.htm: State of Kansas-JPL NASA Solar? System Ambassador??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? n