(meteorobs) Delayed Perseid Peak?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Aug 15 15:03:58 EDT 2008

Anthony-

I didn't observe a later peak. My video data shows a broad peak on 8/12
around UT 10:00, when I was recording over 50 meteors per hour brighter than
mag 1. On 8/13 I had a fairly uniform rate, increasing slightly over the
evening because of the radiant position. Except for a very brief spike at UT
10:15 (10 events in 15 minutes), the general level in the early morning
hours was around 20 meteors per hour.

While the brightest fireballs I recorded were on 8/13, the fireball rate
wasn't substantially different between the two nights: on 8/12 I recorded
152 meteors, of which 23 were brighter than mag -4 (15%); on 8/13 I recorded
117 meteors, of which 12 were brighter than mag -4 (10%).

While solidly locating the peak of such a broad shower is tricky, I'd say my
data puts it within an hour or two of the predicted time. My 8/12 data seems
to show more structure in the frequency: the rate rose and fell with about a
30-minute cycle. On 8/13, the rate was much more uniform.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com