(meteorobs) HALWA at NJAA Aug 18,2008 (Full Moon)

meteoreye at comcast.net meteoreye at comcast.net
Mon Aug 18 12:12:09 EDT 2008

I had not planned on observing, but my internal clock is still running on Perseid time.
I woke up about 2:30 AM and it was crystal clear, so despite the full moon I decided
to give it a go. Used all the moon tricks, set up with moon at my back, shielded by my
van, darkest available FOV in that area. Went through to nautical twilight, since there
was no decline in LM with these conditions.
Time recorded to nearest minute, alignment cord used for shower association.
Since moon was in AQR and radiants were shielded, did not count SDA or ANT showers.
Moon conditions:
Start 97.8% illuminated, mag -12.3, elevation 41.5 degrees,
End 97.5% illuminated, mag -12.3, elevation 28 degrees.
Estimating limiting magnitude. I counted a few polygons, but they were of little use since
they are not designed for this level of LM. So I described the position of the faintest
stars I could see and looked them up this morning. +4.8 should be considered best estimate.
It may have been a bit better, but it certainly was not as good as +5.0.

Wayne

Location NJAA Observatory, High Bridge, NJ

UT Date Aug 18, 2008
0710-0910 UT

PER RA 055, Dec +58
KCG RA 286, Dec +59

0710-0810 1.00 Teff LM +4.80 4 PER, 4 SPO, 0 KCG
0810-0910 1.00 Teff LM +4.80 1 PER, 1 SPO, 0 KCG
0710-0910
10 total meteors (5/Hr) Avg Mag +2.65
5 PER (2.5/Hr) Avg Mag +2.60
5 SPO (2.5/Hr) Avg Mag +2.70