(meteorobs) Fireball listings?

FSchaaf at aol.com FSchaaf at aol.com
Thu Aug 21 22:48:12 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/21/08 6:09:27 PM, mjc at star.rl.ac.uk writes:

> MORP is a Canadian fireball camera network that started in the 1970s
> with the goal of meteorite recovery.  I recall reading about the
> Innisfree meteorite recovered in the Prairie snow from a BAA Meteor
> Section Circular of the time.  Funny I heard that name on the radio the
> other night, in a poem by Yeats.
>
> http://miac.uqac.ca/MIAC/morp.htm
>
> Malcolm Currie

Malcolm,

      I can't resist mentioning that I liked that connection with the Yeats
poem so much I played with it in one of the chapters on meteors and meteorites
in my book of essays called   "The Starry Room."   The book was published by
John Wiley & Sons in 1988 (with a gracious foreword by Chet Raymo of "365
Starry Nights" fame) and after finally going out of print was re-published by Dover
Publications in 2002--a low-cost edition which is still available.   The
three meteor/meteorite chapters include one which centers on the Perseids, one
about the amazing New Jersey fireball of August 24, 1982 (unusual orbit, many
anomalous sound reports, and more), and one about the search for meteorites.
The last of these is entitled "Go to Innisfree."   The three chapters total 64
pages.   The only major claim of merit I can make for them, especially 20 years
later, is that they do express an intense passion for meteors...!

                                                     Regards,
                                                       Fred Schaaf