(meteorobs) Colour camera advice for Sandia system?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Aug 27 11:47:53 EDT 2008

Hard to generalize. It really depends on your typical humidity and dew
point. Here in Colorado (which is pretty dry), over the entire state, our
cameras stay free of dew and frost using nothing more than a fan blowing the
waste heat of the PC164C camera across the inside of the 5" acrylic dome. It
hasn't been necessary to add more heating. The domes do get condensation
(especially in summer when the humidity is up) if the little fans fail,
however.

You only need to make sure the dome is fractionally above ambient to avoid
dewing. It should take very little power to do that. Consider that antidew
heaters for telescopes usually require only a few watts to keep several
hundred square centimeters of corrector surface clear, and that's without
active circulation. A small acrylic dome shouldn't have high emissivity; I
can't imagine any conditions that would require 100W to keep it above
ambient. Do you actually use that, or do you just switch power to a 100W
heater, which typically runs with a very low duty cycle? I'd think that if
your average power is over a few watts, it suggests that the surfaces around
the dome are far too emissive.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory