(meteorobs) Colour camera advice for Sandia system?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Aug 28 00:17:01 EDT 2008

An allsky camera should not experience fogging on the inside. If it does, it
needs to be opened and allowed to dry. Certainly a desiccant can be used
inside, but it will probably only provide a small amount of protection. If
the system is sealed and heated, it really should be fine. The main problem
is condensation on the outside of the acrylic dome. You need to provide
enough warm air circulating on the inside to keep the outside surface
temperature above ambient. It's a balancing act between the emissivity of
the acrylic (and to some extent, the surrounding surfaces) and its thermal
conductivity.

Allsky cameras utilizing convex mirrors are very easy to keep dry, since
radiant heat can be easily applied to the bottom side of the mirror, using a
heating pad or light bulbs.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory