(meteorobs) Colour camera advice for Sandia system?

stange stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 28 01:46:09 EDT 2008

Chris has it right.

The only flaw in the all-sky camera PVC design is the junctions between the
segments are not air tight seals. They should be sealed either with a thin
gasket or a thin bead of RTV smoothed with a finger tip....AFTER you have
made a satisfactory adjustment of all mechanical variables in the
construction and camera alignment.

The internal heat from the Sun followed by the cooling night allows a period
of time between off and turn on of the thermostat. During that period the
inside-outside temperature differences cause an air exchange that contains
moisture. This is especially noticeable after a rain. The internal portion
of the dome can condense the moisture usually around the dome perimeter
first. When the thermostat comes on, the moisture is gradually vaporized
again but it still remains inside the housing to repeat the condensation.

I have a trace problem of this, but am reluctant to upset the calibration of
my camera to disassemble and seal the airgaps. If I get a more important
problem later I will seal it right.

I use those white granules in a plastic container lowered down next to the
camea to remove moisture. The granules look wet afterward but care must be
taken that NONE touch any metal surface. Highly corrosive.  -YCS