(meteorobs) Meteorite pix

Robert Hamlin Robert.Hamlin at Dartmouth.EDU
Wed Dec 3 10:25:09 EST 2008

Interesting indeed -- it's a question that puzzled me as well.  I have heard that reentry will heat up only the outermost layer, however, and that the object itself would not be hot enough to melt ice.  Given that the meteorite fragment had remained on the ice sheet for some time before being discovered, could it have been warmed enough by the sun to melt into the surface of the ice sheet?  I suppose it's also possible that the surface of the ice melted during the warm afternoon and refroze.

--- "bob71741" wrote:
That's an interesting 1st photo of Ellen looking at the meteorite in
the frozen pond. I would have thought that the meteorite would have
bounced off of the ice on initial impact leaving an impact crater, but
the photo shows that a crater exists by the raised edge around the
meteorite; or, perhaps that is refrozen water from the heat of the
meteorite where the meteorite terminally ended up at.

Never-the-less very interesting.

Bob
--- end of quote ---