(meteorobs) Meteorite pix

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Dec 3 10:32:49 EST 2008

Most likely the meteorite just bounced on the cold hard ice and ended up
where it did. Then, the stone heated up in the Sun and began melting into
the ice sheet. A lot of Tagish Lake was eventually lost that way (melting
through into the underlying water). If you live somewhere with frozen ponds,
put a black rock out on the ice. It will slowly sink if you have sunny days.

This meteorite fragment doesn't seem to be large enough to have a
temperature significantly different from the ambient air at the time of
impact- most likely a bit below ambient.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com