(meteorobs) Meteorite pix

prospector at znet.com prospector at znet.com
Wed Dec 3 12:51:19 EST 2008

    Meteorites have several opportunities to gain heat, first from the sun
in space where the sunlight side can reach 120C/248F. The cool side will
limit heating but once ablation (where it is not heated) is finished, the
meteorite is then still in hyperersonic flight for some time where the
meteorite will be heated. So a meteorite may be hot or cold depending on
the individual circomstances of time in the shadow of the Earth, angle of
fall, size of meteorite, and composition.
                                    Dave English
                                Oceanside, California