(meteorobs) Northern Florida Fireball, ca. 1970

CaverArch caverarch at aol.com
Tue Dec 2 18:28:58 EST 2008

Hello Group,

The recent Canadian fireball brought to mind the one such event I've been lucky enough to observe, decades ago though it was.  I was a sophomore living in Hume Hall at the University of Florida, Gainesville, in the 1969-1970 academic year.  I saw a day-time fireball that crossed the sky from east to west as I was walking (and looking) south toward the dorm one day.  The fireball left a greenish trail that persisted for a moment.  I don't recall any sound or visible explosion associated with the event.  I was not (to my relief) the only person to have this particular 'vision' and it was reported in the next issue of the Florida Alligator, the student newspaper.

I was searching for videos and accounts of the Canadian event when I stumbled upon your group.  Would anyone have a record of the Florida event?  Or a suggestion of an archive where it might be found?  I'm sure that it was far too early to have been captured as an image or video, since CCTV cameras were probably only found at NORAD sites in those days.

Thanks very much!

Roger Moore
Houston