(meteorobs) Meteoroid streams and the Moon

Roberto G. md6648 at mclink.it
Sat Dec 6 10:17:27 EST 2008

From: "David Entwistle" <David at radiometeor.plus.com>

cut

> Geminid meteoroid's approximate apparent geocentric velocity (the
> resultant):
> 35 km/s (that's Vinf, if that's right to use)
> 112 degrees ecliptic longitude

cut

> Those meteoroids passing by the Moon will take 384,400 / (35 x 60 x 60)
> = 3 hours to reach Earth.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> --
> David Entwistle

Yes, with the geocentric velocity of Geminids as 35 Km/sec, this meteors
need for to come on the Earth of around 3 hours traveling in a near
linear trajectory, in effect their orbit it's a gigant ellipse as that of
the Earth,
each one of more a billion of Km, but we can assume that for 384,000 Km it's
a near linear trajectory, then the effect, if exist, to shall occur only
around
3 hours after.
I must add too that if there are "shadow" in the meteors caused by Moon,
they must have a preferential point of focus then it's probable that this
"shadow" are similar in the form at a cone with the base with a diameter
as the Moon, we not known how shall be long this cone perharps its
apex not come until the Earth.
It it's possibile too the other case, the lensing effects, and this, if
exist,
has certainly the same form of cone but, I think, without calculations, that
its apex it's more near the Moon that the other case.
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli