(meteorobs) Another Colorado meteor

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Sat Dec 6 12:23:35 EST 2008

Chris Peterson wrote:
> Early this morning (2008.12.06 01:06 MST, 08:06 UT) I recorded what I
> believe is my brightest fireball ever. I'm currently estimating a magnitude
> of -18, some 100 times brighter than a full Moon. There appear to have been
> some thin clouds, so it was probably even brighter. I don't yet know if it's
> on other cameras. The terminal explosion appears to be fairly close to
> Colorado Springs.
>
> I'll be doing more analysis on this, but the preliminary camera data and
> video is at http://www.cloudbait.com/meteor/data.php?recnum=24710
>
> Chris

> Chris L Peterson
> Cloudbait Observatory
> http://www.cloudbait.com

Hi Chris,

I captured your fireball from my observatory in New Mexico through
clouds, though it looks smaller due to my far distance from it. (300
miles or so from here?) It didn't have much of a trail as can be seen in
your movie and my own.  I posted the movies, spectrogram, and forward
scatter radio recordings in my nightly archive here:
http://www.heliotown.com/Fireballs_December_06_2008_Ashcraft.html

Hoping to hear more about it as you gather data.

Clear skies,
Thomas Ashcraft
Near Eldorado, New Mexico