(meteorobs) Another Colorado meteor

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Dec 8 11:06:21 EST 2008

Hi Paco-

I doubt you can say anything about what a meteorite dropper's
characteristics "must" be. I think there's good evidence that the majority
of meteorites actually come from rather unimpressive meteors, and those
generally slow down while still very high.

Observational evidence is biased because witnessed falls associated with
meteors typically (always?) involve very bright fireballs- otherwise the
association wouldn't be made. Ceplecha, Jopek, Tatum, and others have
produced some fine models of the behavior of a meteoroid as it passes
through the atmosphere, but actually determining what happens when a real
body, of uncertain material properties, explodes as violently as we see in
the Colorado fireball is rather beyond our abilities.

While conventional wisdom suggests that the height and speed of this body at
the point of terminal explosion argue against meteorite formation, I think
the best answer is that we simply can't say with any certainty. I do know
that a couple of meteorite hunters are interested in starting a ground
search. Unfortunately, we have a winter storm coming in today that will drop
quite a lot of snow in the area over the next few days.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com