(meteorobs) New Observer

Leo S l.stachowicz at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 9 17:23:59 EST 2008

Hi Jackob,

Regarding the DSLR side of things, I've been working on something that
might be of interest to you. It's actually designed to trigger the
camera so as to catch lightning, but I think it could work for bright
meteors too. I have yet to test it in the field even with lightning, but
I might try hooking it up to a 20D during the Geminids peak.

I used the design found here to build it:
http://www.glacialwanderer.com/hobbyrobotics/?p=16

It uses a photo-sensitive diode coupled to a tiny computer (an 'Arduino'
- see: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Windows ) running software which
the author of the above web page wrote to trigger the camera. It's
relatively easy and inexpensive to build. Similar triggers designed for
the same purpose can cost over $300, where as it cost me perhaps £45 to
build mine. There is also potential to use the Arduino to do lots of
other interesting things, not necassarily connected with photography,
but it naturally lends itself to triggering cameras.

Here's a photo of the one I built:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21035814@N07/2882929826/sizes/o/

It's surprisingly sensitive, but as I said before, I have yet to test it
under field conditions.

Clear skies,
Leo