(meteorobs) IR Camera is up. Waiting for a big'un.

stange stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 10 23:31:23 EST 2008

The new IR blocking camera is up with a std. camera temporarily. IR block
filter does an excellent job reducing the Sun's glare too.

Photo #1 illustrates preparation for tonights focussing after basic
mounting.
 http://www.geocities.com/stange34@sbcglobal.net/IR_CameraMtg

Photo #2 illustrates my design for a hemispherical mirror heater. Hot air
flow is down, spreading out, and then upward. With 25W bulb, mirror inside
temp reaches 80F. http://www.geocities.com/stange34@sbcglobal.net/heater

Photo #3 illustrates view on indoor monitor showing Sun 15 degrees high in
the afternoon before alignment of camera was started. IR blocking filter
prevents Sun from overwhelming the camera with brightness.
http://www.geocities.com/stange34@sbcglobal.net/IRSun

Photo #4 illustrates capture of an aircraft flight with Moon's high
intensity reduced from the blocking filter. This capture required extremely
high gain settings of Handyavi because of poor light sensitivity of this
Sony camera. I expect a PC164C will be authorized around Christmas. :-)
http://www.geocities.com/stange34@sbcglobal.net/airplane

A camera (MUST) be able to detect high altitude aircraft in order to detect
meteors.

YCSentinel