(meteorobs) IR Camera is up. -Important notes....

stange stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 11 00:56:39 EST 2008

Chris I think you made a "typo" :-)  Our telescopes have distinct focusser
travel noticeable between edge of moon, center of moon, and DSO's or Stars
for example. Especially noticeable at prime focus with an astro camera or an
eyepiece.

A low power eyepiece or fast telescope tends to not distinguish stars
compared to moon.

I routinely find cloud focus is far away from moon or stars in my cameras
even with a 4mm lens. The one in the IR camera is an 8.5mm.

Also for these focussing reasons I once mounted a digital vernier caliper on
a refractor and a precision 15 turn dial on an SCT.

Larry