(meteorobs) IR Camera is up. -Important notes....

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Dec 11 01:30:20 EST 2008

Hi Larry-

I think you're fooling yourself. A 4mm camera lens can't distinguish between
clouds and the Moon. No telescope can distinguish between different parts of
the Moon, DSOs, and stars. The math is simple. A 4mm lens images an object
at true infinity exactly 4mm behind the principal plane. The formula for the
position of the focal plane is 1/d1 + 1/d2 = 1/f. Plug in for an object 50km
away, and you get that the new focal plane is 3.99999968 mm behind the
principal plane. That is, it's 32 nm close to the lens than for infinity.
1/10 the wavelength of light. You're not making that adjustment with your
focuser, no matter how good it is! The camera isn't even thermally stable to
that precision.

Long focal length telescopes (meters) have to adjust their focus very
slightly from "infinity" (everything outside the Earth's atmosphere) when
they image meteors in the upper atmosphere (something that has only been
done occasionally). It's not an issue with camera lenses.

BTW, if your SCT has a 2000mm focal length, the focal plane shift between
stars and the Moon is 10nm, which is also meaningless mechanically. The
focus difference between the edge of the Moon and the center is subatomic!

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com