(meteorobs) IR Camera is up. -Important notes....

mexicodoug at aim.com mexicodoug at aim.com
Thu Dec 11 01:52:51 EST 2008

Chris wrote:

"...It's not an issue with camera lenses...The focus difference between
the edge of the Moon and the center is subatomic!"

Larry,

You are right about having to focus.  Don't forget your eye is part of
the lens system.  What may be comfortable for a point focus may not be
the proper theoretical focus even if you believed it sharp as a tack.
The DSO may be seen better depending on optical aberrations of both the
optics and the eye - sometimes having nothing to do with the actual
glass.  You may even adjust slightly the distance of your eye to take
in a greater FOV in some cases - would that not require a focal
adjustment for more comfortable viewing?  Yes, as your retina isn't at
a fixed to the ocular.  I think these are the differences you are
trying to reconcile with Chris.  That is why at a star party everyone
is playing with the focuser even when it is "focused" on an object
perfectly by the scope's owner.

Best wishes
Doug