(meteorobs) ?Errant Geminid? - Meteorite Destroys Warehouse inAukland, New Zealand?

Alister aling at telus.net
Sun Dec 14 13:18:28 EST 2008

It is a common myth that meteorites are still hot enough to cause fires.
Only a *tiny* percentage can. While I don't have peer-reviewed numbers at my
fingertips, you need to be looking at least at ground arrival size in the
cubic metre/yard range.

The recent fall on the Alberta-Saskatchewan border (Nov 20-21, 2008) had a
13-kg (28-lb) piece (smaller than a 10-pin bowling ball) made a hole about
half its depth, with not the slightest evidence of any singing of the very
dry grass.

Remember that fireballs stop glowing at altitudes of roughly 50km
(30-miles), so they have 45km of falling through air that is MINUS 40 F/C or
colder. (The space shuttle stops glowing at Mach 12, similar altitude,
160,000 feet).

Ballistically, without atmosphere, d = 1/2 * a * t^2, so 45,000m means 95
seconds of fall, but one can assume it will be longer because it will be
slower. Even at 200m/s, the wind chill is almost beyond imagination. Even if
it started red hot, that's plenty of cooling by the time it hits the ground.
Remember the Peekskill fall some 10 years ago? Broke through the roof, hit a
couch, then bruised a person. They said it was warm, nothing more.

It also makes sense when one thinks of the Apollo return capsules - no huge
cloud of steam when they touched water. None of the returning Soyuz capsules
cause wildfires. Sure the composition/duration are different from
meteorites, but they're the same order of magnitude.

You would need to be talking an object that is supersonic fireball all the
way to ground before it can cause a fire.

The day after the Nov 20 meteorite, there was a report from a farmer whose
barn had caught fire - we all figured it was an attempt to get insurance
money - and of course it turned out nowhere near the fall.

Alister Ling
Edmonton, Alberta.