(meteorobs) ?Errant Geminid? - Meteorite Destroys Warehouse inAukland, New Zealand?

mexicodoug at aim.com mexicodoug at aim.com
Sun Dec 14 14:43:24 EST 2008

Hi Alister,

There are a bunch of minor details in your overall reasonable post ...

"Ballistically, without atmosphere, d = 1/2 * a * t^2, so 45,000m means
95
seconds of fall, but one can assume it will be longer"

(As we know, meteoroids don't start from free fall, so there is
friction, but there is the etail of initial velocity which we know is
fast)

" While I don't have peer-reviewed numbers at my fingertips, you need
to be looking at least at ground arrival size in the
cubic metre/yard range."

(Probably no meteoroid is hot enough to cause fires.  Yes,  know I'll
get flack for this from some purists, but in incandescent flight the
ablation keps them quite cold, irons being the only exception - which
represent something like 5% of falls.  But even irons won't peak at
more than 120 degrees for any reasonable mass > 0.  They will start
around 100-110degress C at most from radiative heating at 1 AU.)  There
is a very fine heated rind on the outside of the irons recovered and an
interior basically unaffected by heat.  We can begin to know this by
looking at the crystal structure of iron octahedrites.)

"The recent fall on the Alberta-Saskatchewan border (Nov 20-21, 2008)
had a
13-kg (28-lb) piece (smaller than a 10-pin bowling ball) made a hole
about
half its depth, with not the slightest evidence of any singing of the
very
dry grass."

Of course not.  Being an ordinary chondrite it began to fall at very
close or slightly less than 0 degrees C, due to radiative heating.
 From there the heated visual portion in the atmosphere wicked most of
the heat away.  It was probably still frozen.  There will be the
atmospheric cooling arguers jumping in here.  Sure that happens too,
but the times are only going to affect significantly the smallest
recovered stones.  I have a friend who had a kilogram H5 stony
meteorite land 20 meters from him.  He promptly picked it up and found
it very cold to touch, with what he seems to recall as slight icing.
Interestingly, the next day he went back and found another piece, but
this was very hot due to simple radiative heat in a hot Sun.

"You would need to be talking an object that is supersonic fireball all
the
way to ground before it can cause a fire."
Except for Sikhote Alin and Carancas Peru, we really don't have any
other data on this.  A Supersonic fireball at ground level is an
impending disaster for many other reasons.  Even large pieces usually
(ehmmm Carancas) fragment and become small enough to go subsonic.

One final thing to mention usually glossed over.  The thin air at
altitudes over 6 kilometer balances out a great deal of the frigid
temperatures always cited, so sure there is some effect, but the heat
transfer coefficient will be much smaller and thus they will be much
better insulated; this coupled with the sweating effect of ablation
which probably by "sweating material" keeps everything pretty
intrasient temperaturewise.  We really shouldn't be unconsciously
comparing it with sea level pressures IMO, not to mention there is
still radiative heating up there in dark flight regardless of the
outside temperature.  Gets back to the misconceptions of the
'temperature of space' which is actually quite comfortable on a skewer.

Anyway, hope this helps.

PS, I can look up a three page careful analysis of the temperatures of
meteoroids I did some time ago and posted, but I don't find it at the
moment.

Best wishes and happy holidays
Doug