(meteorobs) Geminids peak from London - mini-outburst!?

meteoreye at comcast.net meteoreye at comcast.net
Mon Dec 15 14:21:42 EST 2008

I find that clutsers are mentioned for every major shower. I think the reason is that there are just more meteors. If you look at a minor (2/Hr) shower and plot out the times between meteors, I have no doubt you would find just as much clustering, but since the numbers are so much lower it's not noticed. When the rate is 20 an hour or higher, purely by the stochastic nature of meteor showers, noticeable clusters will appear to occur. It's not clear there is any physical meaning within the meteor stream itself.

One thing I do with all my major showers is calculate the 6 minute (I used to do 5 minute, but have switched to 0.1 hour Teff) totals an equivilent HR. If you look at all I have done this for, there are always peak periods with "clusters". When you average it out over 15 or 30 minute periods, the short period spikes tend to go away and longer term trends appear, such as the 59 minute periodicity I noticed on one night during the Orionids.

During the slow months, I intend to do some analysis on this subject.

Wayne