(meteorobs) OT -Technical question on Hemispherical MirrorUndercoating.

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Dec 16 11:25:05 EST 2008

The mirrors we used to use were backside aluminized, and then protected with
some sort of paint. That's pretty typical for most mirrors. When
experimenting with antidewing methods, one thing we tried was incandescent
light bulbs. As you note, pinholes allowed light to leak through. So we just
painted the underside of the mirrors with flat black paint directly, no
varnish in between. That worked just fine. A couple of mirror based cameras
still in operation have shown no ill effects, even after several years of
operation.

BTW, we abandoned light bulbs in favor of heat pads, since the latter are
thermostatically controlled and turn themselves off in warm weather.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com