(meteorobs) OT-Possible single station determinationofmeteordistance.

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Dec 17 19:55:16 EST 2008

There are two ways you can mix video signals. You can use a pair of cameras
that share a common timebase. Some cameras allow an external sync from
another camera, but it isn't a common feature. It isn't too hard to
implement yourself, but it does require some fine assembly and the running
of signals between the two cameras. The other approach is an external
circuit that delays and rebuilds one signal to be in sync with another. This
isn't very simple.

I don't think it matters, however, because I don't think your approach is
practical. The method depends on measuring parallax, and at the distances
involved the parallax is just too small. The position shift between your 10
mile reference and any meteor will not exceed about 20 arcsec, which is
going to be very difficult to detect. You will need very high quality
lenses, you probably can't use protective domes, and your astrometric
calibration will need to be almost impossibly good. The angular separation
between the images from the two cameras for a meteor 70 miles away will be
about 3 arcseconds. That is on the order of 1% of your pixel spacing. That
is simply not measurable with this setup. Even good lenses are not
distortion free at that scale.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory