(meteorobs) OT -Question to Cloudbait Observatory.

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Dec 20 14:14:46 EST 2008

Larry-

Do not mistake shutter time for frame rate. All conventional video cameras
operate at a fixed frame rate of 30 fps (or 25 fps). But the frame exposure
time can be much less- that's a main method of exposure control (the other
being adjustment of the video amplifier gain). The PC164C has an exposure
time of around 1/100,000 second when the electronic shutter is enabled and
the average video level is high. While the PC164C does not have an external
control to set the shutter time, it is an easy modification that is
documented on a number of web sites. Some cameras provide a dipswitch or
other mechanism to directly control shutter time. Any frame grabber will
work for you. While the 30 fps limit will determine your time resolution,
the shutter time will determine how much or little motion blur you get in an
individual frame.

Since you are interested in bright events, you don't really need a PC164C.
Something like a PC32C might be a better choice, because it's one of the
easiest cameras to modify for manual shutter speed control.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com