(meteorobs) Seasonal greetings from the frozen north

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Thu Dec 25 01:39:21 EST 2008

    Paul M. wrote:

> Because of the cold and wind I observed from inside my station wagon with
> the heater on.  Because of this obstruction 30%.  Perhaps half of this
> obstruction was because I could not center my field of view as high as
> usual - so a lot of ground was included in the bottom of my field of view.
> The rest of the obstruction was around the edges of my field of view.
> Whether this really resulted in a 30 percent reduction in the number of
> meteors seen - I don't know.  Some reduction in limiting magnitude due to
> looking thru glass.  The crescent Moon rose about 03:00 local time in the
> SE.

    I did the same thing with the Geminids, worked out not too badly. Saw a
decent number of meteors and, importantly, didn't freeze to death. Still
haven't had a chance to transcribe my tape but hope to during the holidays.

    Speaking of which, my compliments of the season -- whatever season you
may be celebrating -- to MeteorObs list members around the world.

    Bruce
    *****