(meteorobs) Upcoming Leap Second & CHU to change frequencies

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Mon Dec 29 02:27:35 EST 2008

Here are the details:
_http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/blog/joerao/2008/12/07/wait-just-second_
(http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/blog/joerao/2008/12/07/wait-just-second)

Apparently, radio station CHU in Canada will be  switching to a different
frequency on Wednesday evening at 00h UTC.  That  means listeners who are tuned
in to 7,335 Khz. to listen for the extra second  will hear the station
disappear from the airwaves on this particular frequency  (after 70-years!)
immediately upon the insertion of the extra tick.   The time signals will then move to
7,850 Khz.

For more details, see:
_http://inms-ienm.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/common_files/stories/chu/communique_e.pdf_
(http://inms-ienm.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/common_files/stories/chu/communique_e.pdf)

Needless to say, those  listening for the Leap Second should either tune to
the "other" CHU frequencies  at 14.670 or 3,335 or tune to WWV instead!
Personally, I've been listening  to CHU mostly on 7,335 all my life so this is kind
of sad (even though  they'll only be moving a short way "up the dial" on the
40 meter  band).

-- joe  rao

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.