(meteorobs) Brilliant Fireball Dec. 29/30 Northeastern U.S.

JBortle at aol.com JBortle at aol.com
Mon Dec 29 22:42:26 EST 2008

This evening, at approximately 9:25PM EST, I witnessed a brilliant,
colorful, fragmenting fireball low in the eastern sky from my home a little  southeast
of Poughkeepsie, NY.

The fireball traveled through the head of Hydra, descending from about
altitude 25* to 10* , with a descent angle of about 15* off vertical,  angled
toward the southeast. Initially of about -5 to -6 (I happened to be  looking right
at it when it appeared), the object brightened as it descended,  probably
attaining about -8 as flared and fragmented toward the end of its  flight. Colors
observed were red, white and particularly a vivid green.

Unfortunately, I was too busy gathering observations of other objects, as
clouds were approaching, to take the time to record this event in greater
detail than presented here. However, I'm sure this event must have been widely
observed and must have been extremely spectacular in the Boston, MA  and
Providence, RI areas well east of me.

JBortle

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.