(meteorobs) Brilliant Fireball Dec. 29/30 Northeastern U.S.

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Mon Dec 29 22:50:36 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/29/2008 10:42:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
JBortle at aol.com writes:

I'm sure this event must have been widely
observed and must  have been extremely spectacular in the Boston, MA  and
Providence, RI  areas well east of me.

---------

Here are two reports of the same object seen by John  Bortle by members of
the Amateur Observers' Society (AOS) of New York:

Wondering if anyone saw the bright blue/green meteor at  9:27 pm on
December 29th. I was facing towards the west when I saw a bright  flash
on the ground and when I turned around I caught the end of the  meteor.
It was blue/green and left a a 3-4 degree sparkling train behind  it.
It was traveling southeast to North/Northwest about 40-45 degrees  off
the eastern horizon quite spectacular!
What is amazing I spend 99.9%  of my time inside my observatory
inside the warm room and do not spend hardly  any time outside under
the stars with the exception of tonight. I have one  mount 100%
automated and it was imaging ic405 at the time, the second mount  was
just set up and is a visual rig. While I enjoy imaging in  the
observatory it is hard to beat being outside in the air under the  stars.
Danny Janosick

I caught the tail end of the same meteor as I was  turning onto Route 110
from the Southern State Parkway.  I noted the same  time as you.  It looked blue
green the portion that I saw, which was just  before burnout.

Rich Huber

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.