(meteorobs) MANY FIREBALLS?

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 31 12:58:06 EST 2008

Anthony:
	I'm not convinced that there is an increase in fireball activity in
recent years, perhaps more reporting of such events.  The now
terminated Canadian MORP System directed by Dr. Ian Halliday, NRCC,
was in operation across the three Prairie Provinces from 1985 to
March 1971 with some cameras operating in 1970.  This network
recorded 754 fireball class meteors over an approximate 14 year
period.  This works out to approximately 53 fireballs per year or 1+
per week.  With this in mind you are hearing reports of fireball
activity spread across the country and also internationally.
Spectacular events also see an increase of reporting of bright
meteors.  Some of these are not fireball class meteors.  I have had
many such reports and after checking my Sandia All-sky Camera tapes
many of these are not recorded so they must have been fainter than
-3.0 magnitude the approximate recording sensitivity of the old
Sandia Convex All-Sky cameras.  The new fisheye systems are a bit
more sensitive.
Ed Majden
Sandia Bolide Detection Station
Courtenay B.C.  Canada.