(meteorobs) ELF/VLF and meteors

Jean-Louis.RAULT at fr.thalesgroup.com Jean-Louis.RAULT at fr.thalesgroup.com
Thu Feb 14 05:30:50 EST 2008

George

My inquiry is for current research.
I'm fully aware about the "VLF & Meteors controversy", and particularly about the so-called electrophonic effect.
(I carefully looked at the articles you wrote in the past for WGN, the Journal of IMO).
So my idea is first of all to collect a maximum of VLF / meteors coincidence data and that's the reason why I'm personnally setting up presently a VLF/VHF receivers system which purpose is to assess the number of correlations between any ELF/VLF events and meteors pings.
Some measurements (see Watanabe [1988] or Proyen [2007]) show ULF pulses when a body enters the atmosphere, some other show evidence of VLF pulses centered around 0.3 to 1.5 kHz (see Price [2000]), some other (see Koshny et al. in Australia [2001] detected an increase of the average ULF noise during the Leonids, some other (see Garaj, Biliskov et al. in Mongolia [1998)) detected electophonic meteors without any correlated VLF radio radiation), etc etc
So the situation seems still open.
Most of the observers conclude their reports by many questions and all of them say something like "It is clear that more work is needed in this field"
And thats's exactly the reason for my present effort :o)

Jean-Louis