(meteorobs) satellites and artificial meteors?

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Wed Feb 20 18:50:03 EST 2008

> hi- I was wondering whether anyone thought it possible/likely that the
> destruction of the satellite over the Pacific might lead to some meteors??
> Does anyone know if the satellite is moving east to west or ????

    The satellite is moving west-to-east, with a fairly high inclination of
58 degrees. (Virtually no satellites go east-to-west due to the much greater
boost that is required to overcome the Earth's rotational velocity, which is
used to advantage for a conventional west-to-east launch or relatively
neutral for polar orbiters.)

    If tonight's shoot-down is successful (think: Star Wars, so it's no sure
bet) or even attempted (choppy seas may preclude the launch), we in Alberta
may have a front-row seat for any re-entry. I won't have dark skies, but I
will be observing, hosting a public event for tonight's Total Lunar Eclipse
at the Observatory of the Telus World of Science - Edmonton. At rather long
odds the window of opportunity for the missile launch is during totality --
maybe they want to shoot down their spy-in-the-sky under cover of
darkness?? -- around 03:30 UT (20:30 MST), and the satellite under normal
conditions would be passing about 35 degrees above our northern horizon at
20:41. It's too low to be sunlit, so we'll only see fireworks if there's an
artificial meteor shower. Wouldn't that be something? But we'll be watching,
and if anything happens I'll let you know.

    Bruce
    *****