(meteorobs) asteroid over ic 410 ?

Tristan Dilapo dilapo at localnet.com
Mon Feb 25 14:29:18 EST 2008

Hi Nico,

     You got a nice "hopper" on your image of  IC410. It's orientation and
speed makes it a good candidate for an asteroid. However, its direction is
the exact opposite of the majority of asteroids in this part of the sky. Did
you stack your animation from first to last shot? At a measured magnitude
13.1, it would probably not be a new discovery since almost every asteroid
brighter than 20th. magnitude has been found. But, there are no asteroids at
that position on the date and time you posted. The only candidate that I
could find was 2001 SY210 at 20.1 magnitude. This asteroid passes about 2
arc-minutes north of your object tonight at about 10:30 PM your local time.
I used an out-of-date database and it's a fairly recent discovery, so I'm
not too sure how well  its orbit has been determined. Of course it's way too
faint and traveling in the opposite direction from your animation.
      The important thing to do is get out tonight and take follow-up images
to verify the object. I'd give it a try, but it looks like I'll be clouded
out tonight. If you can't do a follow-up, you might want to post a request
on the Minor Planet Yahoo Group .... mpml-subscribe at yahoogroups.com .
     Good Luck finding out about your mystery object. Please post a follow
up if  learn anything new.

Tristan DiLapo
OrbitJet Observatory MPO#227