(meteorobs) Possible final year of tv transmitter scatter in US

drobnock drobnock at penn.com
Wed Jan 2 19:14:30 EST 2008

I have attached the US FCC web site discussion about digital and
analogue signals. It is of interest in the FCC will be offering coupons
for the purchase of a converter to receive digital signals on analogue
sets. It is also of interest to state that most digital communications
will be on UHF channels above 13 (US).

Also this statement (from the FCC page) --

If I Already Have an Antenna, Do I Need a New One to View the Digital
Signals?

A special antenna generally is not needed to receive digital signals.
You may have antenna issues, however, if your current antenna does not
receive UHF signals (channels 14 and above) well, because most DTV
stations are on UHF channels. In such a case, you may need a new antenna
or to add a UHF section to your existing antenna system. This equipment
should be available at most bricks-and-mortar and Internet consumer
electronics retailers.

For more information see:
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html

The channels will certainly not die,  there may be another signal that
may be of interest to the scatter observers.

George John Drobnock