(meteorobs) Siddhartha, Dead channels or a change in frequency?

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Wed Jan 2 22:28:40 EST 2008

Siddhartha,

It might be interesting for you to try an experiment with a simple
dipole antenna and see if you can get meteors at 40.530 MHz CW mode
transmitting from Idaho. ( google SNOTEL network for info on this
transmitter system) You have an ICOM PCR1000, don't you? That radio
works well at that frequency.   The sound of the meteor scatter is
different than tv transmitters but it is a powerful transmitter that
should be receivable in urban areas in the western US.    A dipole for
40.530 MHz would be 5 feet 9 inches each side. Any old coax will work as
your cable.

Thomas Ashcraft