(meteorobs) Quadrantids from Central Virginia

FELIX A MARRTINEZ suejam1 at juno.com
Thu Jan 3 10:22:02 EST 2008

 Managed to observe about twenty minutes (0910-0930 UT) from Our Kitchen
Window (LM 5.5) and spotted one 4th Magnitude Quadrantid Meteor.  Did not
appear that the Quadrantids were showing forth much (obviously well under
20/hour).  That was to be expected, since this Meteor Shower does have a
fairly sharp peak that has been well calculated for Jan 3/4.

The forecast peaks may even occur during my planned observing session
(0500-1100 UT) outdoors (electric blanket and numerous layers of course,
with well below freezing temps).  Will make a concerted effort and make
necessary preps during the afternoon today.  My expectations (calculating
for this latitude - just south of 38N) are Quad rates between 20 to
60/hour (under 6.4 - 6.6 Limiting Magnitude skies) during the peak hours.
These happen to be prognosticated for times that are within my observing
session.  Somewhat unfortunately though, the radiant does take a while to
be well placed and may not see those prognosticated rates until after the
3 AM local hour.  Still it will be well worth the effort as I have yet to
make a good night of observations for the Quadrantids in my numerous
decades of meteor observing!  Hope that many of You get a good look at
this challenging to observe major Meteor Shower and please do keep warm!!
                                                    Your Meteor Observing
Comrade - Felix A. Martinez

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:01:41 -0500 "Norman W. McLeod III"
<nmcleod at peganet.com> writes:

> >I am going to take a shot at the Quadrantids.  I know the peak is
> >predicted for 3/4Jan, but does anybody have a guess at an
> anticipated ZHR
> >for 2/3Jan around 0800 UT?
>
> 5/hr seems certain, 10/hr if lucky, for observed rate.
>
> >I know I am a bit disadvantaged at 35N but given my luck lately I
> thought
> >I would try both nights.
>
> I'm worse off at 27N but Quad maxes tend to be clear 50% of the time
>
> here.  Weather outlook for SW Florida is looking very good for clear
> sky
> but it's going to be a very cold one this time.  Jan 3 am borderline
>
> freezing, Jan 4 am in low 40'sF.  Will have to put on the thermal
> underwear
> and everything else, plus take out a sleeping bag and blankets.
> Will pass
> up Jan 3 just to stay warm.
>
> In 1997 I saw my only full-blown Quad max at 61/hr observed rate, LM
> 6.5,
> crescent moon.  Timing this year is rather favorable for the eastern
>
> US.  Hoping Lew Gramer will make it over this way again for the big
>
> night.  Should start observing soon after midnight just as the
> radiant is
> rising.
>
> Norman
>

> >Thanks,
> >Bill

> >Text inserted by Panda IS 2008:
> >
> >  This message has NOT been classified as spam. If it is
> unsolicited mail
> > (spam), click on the following link to reclassify it:

http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_354&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%
20Settings\Owner\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Software\Ant
iSpam