(meteorobs) Quadrantids: Jan 2/3, 2008 S. Carolina

meteors at comcast.net meteors at comcast.net
Thu Jan 3 18:12:03 EST 2008

With temps at 19 degrees, and winds gusting to around 25, I spent this
morning stumbling around like a frozen newbie trying to catch what Quads
I could, all the while hoping me teeth didn't shatter from the
shivering. My ski hat off to you observers from the far northern climes
who deal with this all winter. I'll never complain about my 40+ degree
overnight lows again!! :)

I made a HUGE mistake by procrastinating throughout the holidays and not
acquiring a new voice recorder. I was forced, therefore, to record
meteor data by hand outside my sleeping bag. The sleeping bag was
essentially useless as it is rated for 35 degrees, and this caused me a
lot of problem with maintaining concentration on the sky.

I had to work today, and have not logged my data into the IMO page yet,
but I did not observe anything unusual in about 1.5 hours, only 1 COM, 2
  QUA and 5 SPO. LM was around 5.2, F=1.00. These shower counts are
suspect due to the cold, but shower associations and mags. are fairly
accurate. I did not have the feeling of something going on as some of
the others reported, but again, I was battling the cold.

It will most likely be Friday night, maybe Saturday before I can get a
summary of reports I receive posted to the NAMN website. I'll try to get
it there as soon as I can, but I have to work tomorrow, which will delay it.

Clear skies, and stay warm!!!!

--
Mark Davis, South Carolina, USA
meteors at comcast.net