(meteorobs) First impressions from Alberta

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Fri Jan 4 12:35:00 EST 2008

    Just back from a long night. Alister and I drove about 150 km in search
of clear skies, came out under a chinook arch just east of the Rockies to
patchy conditions under which we observed for two hours starting at exactly
06:40 UT. A band of cloud came through permitting us to take a 90-minute
power nap, after which the sky cleared quite nicely. I observed for an
additional four hours Teff from 10:30 - 14:30 and Alister for most of that
time.

    Even though it was then several hours after the peak the Quads put on a
very nice show, by far the best I've ever seen from this shower. My best
hour was likely in the range of 40-50 meteors from all sources. A decent
number of negative magnitude meteors were seen; at one point Alister saw
three within about 5 minutes, and while I was unlucky during that stretch I
saw several for myself at other times. I hope to transcribe my tape later
today, will post the results as soon as I can.

    Bruce
    *****