(meteorobs) Quadrantids, Sharon MA USA 2008 Jan 4

meteoreye at comcast.net meteoreye at comcast.net
Fri Jan 4 12:38:20 EST 2008

I think I failed you in the last NAMN notes..
Due to the low radiant elevation, observations before 3 AM (EST) are hammered. At most, under LM +6.5 skies, you might see half the ZHR at 3 AM, even less before then.
If you had +6.5 skies that would mean 60 per hour, if the 120/Hr peak ZHR occurred at 3 AM, which it did not. It was earlier, which reduced the rates even more.

If your skies are worse than LM +6.5 (which almost all of us in the northeast suffer from) the rate will be even lower.

I had only 4.3 QUA/Hr (under LM +5.5 skies) from midnight until 2 AM EST.
The last hour (between 5:08 EST and 6:08 EST) I had 35 QUA.
Pierre, who has 0.3 Mag deeper (LM +5.8) youthful eyes probably saw over 50.

I'll try and make clear the effect of radiant elevation and LM during the next few month's NAMN notes.

Wayne

From: Richard Kramer <kramer at sria.com>