(meteorobs) daytime fireball, near Graham NC

Steven Kolins smkolins at mac.com
Fri Jan 4 20:19:38 EST 2008

1st view - from near N35° 52' 36"/W 79° 25' 33" looking NNE it was a
very short meteor about 3° long, about 15° above the horizon. I
noticed the time at 7:17am ± <1 min. I saw a super brilliant white
flash in midflight and saw the whole meteor flight.

2nd view - from near N36° 3' 6.8"/ W 79° 23' 12" looking east saw a
wide swath of the meteor trail - some 20°, about 35° above the
horizon. Saw the meteor after flight began, no flash but trailing
orange fiery trail

Triangulating would place the fireball perhaps starting near or north
of Swepsonville, NC and proceeding roughly along NC Hw 119 until it
crossed US Interstate 40-85.

I know several people that should have been along the flight path out
at that time of the morning - some potentially east of the meteor (I
work for the local school system and the second observer also worked
for the school system....)

Steven Kolins
mailto:smkolins at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/smkolins/
http://smk99.blogspot.com/
Possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart!
They that believe in vain thoughts forsake their own mercy.