(meteorobs) daytime fireball, near Graham NC

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Jan 4 20:49:14 EST 2008

Hi Steven-

What you are trying to do here is fraught with difficulties. In fact,
it's pretty much impossible even with cameras to accurately triangulate
a meteor location when the two stations are only 12 miles apart- let
alone using witness reports, which are notoriously inaccurate (I have
found that about 5% of witness reports are good enough to use).

Some basic problems:

-If a witness saw a fireball 15° above the horizon, it was almost
certainly more than 100 miles away.

-There is no way that two observers just a dozen miles apart could see a
fireball at substantially different altitudes or directions, or with
different lengths.

-If the fireball had been anywhere near Swepsonville, both observers
would have seen it almost directly overhead.

Try to work out the radiant. Could this have been a Quadrantid? I
recorded several bright fireballs in the dawn sky that were part of this
shower. If your own measurements are accurate, this meteor was most
likely over Virginia, probably north of Lynchburg.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com