(meteorobs) I watched Quadrantids on the ground while astronomers saw the meteor shower in the air

KCStarguy at aol.com KCStarguy at aol.com
Sat Jan 5 14:53:27 EST 2008

I watched the Quadrantid meteor shower on the ground in Olathe, KS (1/4/08)
while astronomers saw the meteor shower in the air.

At 11:00 it was cloudy here in Olathe so I went to sleep and woke up at 5:30
and went out in my sleeping bag near my house. It was clear, a little hazy.

I saw 6 meteors that hour several nice Quadrantid fireballs and a possible
stationary one during the morning hours 5:30-6:30.
The stationary one was like a -2 fireball little meteor with no discernable
tail at all. It just looked like a little blip of bright -2 yellow light that
almost   looked like a ;ight   clicked on and off .
I don't think it was a iridium flare so I was a little puzzled. But it was in
the right place near the Quadrantid radiant.

(Last time I saw a stationary meteor was a lime green Perseid fireball while
I watched In Providence RI in the 60's . It was like a expanding lime green
flash that got 0.5 size of full moon and then faded out. Looked like a Star Trek
fireball weapon)

so    I was able to see the Perseids, Aurigids, Orionids, Leonids, Geminids
and Quadrantids. Not bad

More from those high flying team of astronomers (below)
Meanwhile 2008 Quadrantid meteor shower peaked around 0200 UTC on Friday,
Jan. 4th. That is the initial report from astronomers who flew a research
airplane north of the Arctic Circle for an uninterrupted view of the shower. The
team, led by Peter Jenniskens of the SETI Institute, witnessed many bright
Quadrantids among an "amazing display" of aurora borealis; this is a typical view
through the starboard window:

http://quadrantid.seti.org/
http://www.spaceweather.com/meteors/quadrantids/quadrantids.html
comet was seen in 1490
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrantids

very nice list ing of meteor showers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_meteor_showers

Dr. Eric Flescher (kcstarguy at aol.com), Olathe, KS:   Lat 38.834, Lon -94.778:
Nature's Greatest Spectacle- 2008 & 2009 Total Eclipse- Winco Eclipse Tours,
Inc.:www.eclipsetrips.com: Comet Observers Award Coordinator- Astronomical
League / Astronomical Society of Kansas, KC, MO-Louisburg,KS:
http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/comet/comet.htm:   Comet Observers Blog:
http://cometobservers.blogspot.com/:Subscribe to Comet Observers newsletter (send your email
to):CometObserversAwardAL-subscribe at yahoogroups.com : : Eclipse sightings >
http://eclipse-sightings.blogspot.com/: E.O.A.S. (Earth, Oceans, Atmosphere and